Sports Betting Guide for Canadian Bettors
As a beginner to the sports betting world, a lot of things can be confusing. Even when you are a seasoned bettor, there will things that you still want to know about. Hence, we have put this sports betting guide to help Canadian bettors find their footing in placing wagers for sports.
In our online betting guide, you will be able to know how to bet on sports, what are betting lines, and the tips and tricks of sports betting. You will also find a list of the best betting sites to help you get started.
Top Canadian Sports Betting Sites 2019
Below is a list of the top online sportsbooks for March 2019 that offer the best bonuses, odds, and betting lines. Place your bets on the various popular leagues with a chance to win some great prizes at these online betting sites we've featured.
How to Bet on Sports in Canada
There are a few steps to follow when you are interested in starting your online sports betting career. The steps are easy to follow and will help you get started with real money sports betting. We have listed the steps below in our sports betting guide:
Step 1: Find a recommended, regulated, and safe online betting site
You need to find a betting site that has been recognised by a known regulator to ensure that they follow the industry rules and practice safe gambling. You also have to choose a site that has good recommendations such as the ones we have listed here on our website. For your convenience, we have reviewed them for you giving you an overall look at what you can expect to find at the sites. The reviews are posted here on our site, and you can read them before committing to a site.
Step 2: Pick a sport to place your wagers
Once you have identified a betting site that ticks all your sports gambling boxes, you have signed up and deposited money, and it’s time to pick a sport. There will be a variation of sports that you can choose to bet on. You don’t even have to choose only one sport. During the football season, the NFL and CFL games that will be happening will be listed on the home page of the sportsbook. However, if you are interested in other sports like the NHL, they will be listed on the homepage as well. Click on any of them, and all the betting lines and odds will be listed.
Step 3: Review the betting option
The betting lines and odds that are listed for each sport will be different, and there will be different choices. For example, if you are interested in betting on hockey, there will be the point spread, moneyline, or total score bets. However, for the football games, the sportsbooks will offer more options on bets including the listed for hockey. Moneyline bets are the easiest to start with when you are still new to sports betting and want to test your wagering abilities. Find out about these betting options below.
Step 4: Place a bet
When you have chosen the kind of bet you want to make, then you can move on to placing that bet at the sportsbook. To start placing your wager process click on the kind of bet you want to make. You will then be asked to put your wager amount. Once you have set your wager amount, you will be shown your potential win when your bet is right. You will then have to review your bet and finalise it to be placed.
The steps listed above are easy to follow as we have said. When you have followed all of them, you have to wait to find out if you have placed a winning bet or not. If you have won, you can claim your winnings. If not, if your bankroll allows, you can try your luck again.
Online Sports Betting Guide: Lines Explained
Understanding betting lines will make placing your wager easy because you know what is going on. As we have mentioned above, there are varied options for betting lines that you can choose to make your wager based on. However, there are common ones that can be made for any sport and are also popular amongst Canadian sports bettors. See below for the betting lines:
- Point Spread – is the predicted points that the winning and losing team will have by the end of the game. The favoured to win will be given points with a plus on them. This means that the team needs to win by the given points or more. The team set to lose is the underdog and is given points with a minus. This means that the team needs to lose by the points allocated or by more.
- Moneyline – a straightforward bet to make because you predict the winner of a match. The team will have to win outright for your bet to pay. Similar to how the point spread points are given, however, it is the other way around. With moneyline, the odds of the team to win will have a minus, and the team to lose will have a plus.
- Totals (over/under) – with this bet, a sportsbook will predict the total score at the end of the match for both teams and then create odds based on that. When you make a total bet, you will have to bet whether the end score will be over or under the total the sportsbook predicted. Hence, the bet is also known as over/under.
Beginner's Sports Betting Guide: Tips & Tricks
Since sports betting has become such a popular activity, a lot of bettors share their tips and tricks that can help you become a better player. These tips are very helpful and can help improve your betting experience. Our experts also have tips that can also help with your gambling experience.
- Teams and sports stats are important - before placing your bet it important to do your research and find out the form of your team and their standings.
- Check previous matches – similar to checking the statistics, and it is also important to find out how the team performed in their previous match ups.
Take advantage of the bonuses – many if not all online betting sites offer different kinds of bonuses. These bonuses can help boost your bankroll.