Top Sports Betting Canada
Many Canadians love sports, thus it would not come as a surprise that they even go as far as betting on their favourite teams. Even though there are land-based sports betting venues, nothing is more convenient than betting on sports from the comfort of your home or even on your mobile when you are on the go. This gives you the power to feel part of the thrill of being in the actual field. However, we know that online sports betting can seem to be a daunting task when you are just a beginner. Worry not because we have put this guide to help you learn about sports betting at an online betting site that accepts Canadians. Here at Oddshunter.ca, we give you an overview of what you must look out for when searching for the best Canadian sports betting sites. This includes how to spot trustworthy and secure online betting sites in Canada. What’s more, we also help you know how to make safe deposits and what kind of bets you can make at the best Canadian sports betting sites.
Best Online Sports Betting SitesMay 2019
The below listing of online sports betting sites accepts Canadian players. Each of these online betting sites has been reviewed and fully vetted by us as offering high quality, reliable and secure online gambling services.
How to Find the Top Canadian Betting Sites
Whether you are interested in betting on the NFL, NHL, CFL or NBA, your first step is identifying the right and safe place to place your bets. It may seem like a daunting task because there are so many sports betting sites on the internet, but we are here to help. We will share with you how we vet the top Canadian betting sites.
So, you can use the same process when you are shopping around for the best sports betting sites. What’s more, the best online sports betting sites listed above have been put through the same process and have come out to be the best in Canada. Each of the sports betting sites that we review and feature on our site has to tick the following boxes described below:
- Reward Canadian bettors with the best welcome bonuses
- Offer the best sports betting odds
- Have safe and secure payment options
- Must be mobile compatible with popular tablets and smartphones
- Cover a wide range of sports and games
Online Betting Canada Sports
One may think that hockey and the CFL would be the only sports that Canadians are interested in, but that is not the case. That is why when you visit the sports betting sites you will see options to bet on other sports whether it is local or international. Canadian bettors can place wagers on many different sports, such as those listed below:
Understanding Online Sports Betting Odds
Before you can even place your first bet, you need to know and understand odds and their different types. This will help read the odds that sportsbooks give for each game. There are three different kinds of betting odds. See below:
- Decimal Odds – a number with a decimal point characterises these odds. In other words, the odds will be displayed at 0.0. e.g. when a C$10 bet is made, and the odds are 1.1 the possible payout will be C$11.
- Fraction Odds – these odds are characterised by a fraction, and they show the profit that a bettor will make. The odds will be displayed like 0/0. e.g. when you place a bet of C$10 with odds of 1/10, you stand to win C$22.
- American Odds – a fraction also characterise these odds. However, they are displayed differently as -/+0. E.g. a sportsbook will offer odds like -200 on team A and +300 on team B. The team with a + is the favourite and the team with the – is the underdog. What it means is that the negative number is how much you need to bet to win C$100 and the positive is how much you would win if you bet C$100. So, for team A you would bet C$200, and for team B you would bet C$100.
If you have signed up at a sportsbook that is not based anywhere in North America, you will see that they often use the fraction and decimal odds. Both these odds show you the payout that you will receive on a bet you have made.
How to Bet on Sports in Canada
To get started with your online betting, you can click on the play now link on the table above, and you will be redirected to a safe a reputable site where you can sign up. These sites allow you to sign up for free without the need for you to place a bet first. What is even greater, is that you will benefit from their welcome bonuses once you have made your first deposit.
All these sites accept the use of the Canadian Dollar and will also pay your winnings in the same currency. So, you will be benefitting from the best real money C$ online betting.
How do I Make Deposits at Best Sports Betting Sites?
The most popular option for banking at sportsbooks online is to use debit or credit cards. Most of the top Canadian sports betting sites accept MasterCard and Visa. Both these options can be used to make a deposit using the main debit or credit cards or prepaid cards. What’s more, there is also the option to make deposits directly from your account to the online betting site by using the Interac e-transfer or Visa Debit. In some instances, some sports betting sites will allow deposit using cheques.
Should you decide to withdraw your winnings, the most popular option is by paper cheque. However, this is not the only option that is available. Even though only a select few offer it, some betting sites will allow withdrawals with the same payment options used for deposits. So, if you used a credit card to make a deposit, you will use it to make a withdrawal.
Canadian Sports Betting Sites Bonuses
The best betting sites online lure bettors with promises of big bonuses and payouts for every win. Some even promise to payout on losses. However, you have to be able to spot which ones are worth claiming these online betting sites. These are some of the biggest bonuses or promotions that Canadian bettors can look out for at online sportsbook sites.
- Reduced juice – this bonus is more applicable to spreads and moneyline bets. So, this means that you will get to place a bet at a reduced amount. Not all online sportsbook sites will offer this kind of bonus.
- Cashback bonuses – some sports betting sites will offer cashback for a small percentage of the deposit made, which is usually your first deposit.
For NHL fans, Canadians sportsbooks will offer reduced juice on some of hockey matches. These online sports betting sites will also offer reduced point spreads, special lines and better odds. If you are interested in finding out more about the various sports betting bonuses in Canada, read our bonuses page for more.
Mobile and Apps for Best Betting Sites
These days more and more people get access to information about their favourite teams on their mobile devices. Hence, it was a natural decision for many of the sports betting sites to develop their websites to be compatible with mobile. The benefits of easily being able to place a wager on your favourite team in the palm of your hand are obvious.
Sports betting will be more convenient and the gaming experience better because of using sports betting apps. Mobile sports betting is also advantageous in that you can won’t have to sign up from scratch if you already have a desktop account. Simply use the same information to sign-in and you are ready to place your first bet.
Since mobile optimised apps are becoming a thing, you will find that most online sportsbooks are competing to create the best sports betting apps. They will mostly drive for the best user experience and top-notch graphics. Even though there are a ton of options to choose from, don’t forget to put any sports betting site through a stringent review process similar to the one we have above to make sure that the site is safe and regulated.
Sports Betting Tips for Canadian Bettors
When you first decide to take part in sports betting, it might seem to be too much, but there is always a few things to keep in mind. If you follow the tips below , you will be on your way to becoming an expert sports betting gambler. Not only will these tips help you be a responsible player, but you can also improve your chances of winning when placing a bet.
- Choose to bet at safe and regulated sportsbooks – it is essential to place your bet at a site that you know for sure is safe. In that way, you know that you are protected and will not have any concerns about your online gambling.
- Always do your research – before you can place a bet on any sport or team, do your research. This will help you in knowing the state of the team you are interested in betting on. You will be able to make informed decisions.
- Learn to manage your bankroll – One of the best ways to enjoy your sports betting is setting aside a bankroll that is specific to that. What’s also important is to allocate your bankroll to the different kinds of sports you want to bet on. Once your bankroll is depleted stop until you have excess money to continue with your sports betting.
- Shop around for good odds – Not all of the best sports betting sites offer the same odds for the same matches. Hence, it is important to shop around for the best odds that will be worthwhile should you win.
- Bet against the public – also known as fading the public is another way of knowing how and when to place a bet. As it suggests, when the public is behind a particular team, you will be bet on the other team. It is not a 100% proof that you will win if you do but always do your research first before placing your bet.
FAQs About Online Sports Betting in Canada
Is it legal to bet on sports in Canada?
There is no exact answer because it is a grey area. Some forms of online gambling are legal; however, the law is not precise on online gambling services offered by international gambling sites.
Which online betting site is the best?
We have reviewed the sports betting sites that we have listed on our website to be the best in Canada. You can sign up with any one of them to get great bonuses and gaming experiences online.
What are sports betting odds?
You will only find the best sports betting odds when you shop around at various online sportsbooks. Compare the odds and choose the best ones for the team you are interested in betting on.
What does betting on the line mean?
Betting on the line is when the bookmaker handicaps a team to set a margin making the game equal. The margin is what is known as the line, which is why the term betting on the line exists.
Are sports betting sites safe?
There are ways that you can check whether an online sports betting site is safe or not. Well-known authorities will regulate it. Be regularly audited by relevant organisations and also by the green lock that sits next to the website address.Top